Wednesday, March 10, 2010

After You're Dead



I had a record number of views on my blogs this past Monday, which is my usual day of posting. But I didn't post that day so it makes me wonder why so many viewers. It's almost as if I have more readers when I don't have anything to say. Hmmm.

It could be a case of absence making the heart grow fonder. Nobody cared about Van Gogh till after he died, and we sure all forgave Michael Jackson his transgressions once he passed on. And then there's Bill Clinton and he's not even gone yet.

I know plenty of mothers who reminisce about how wonderful their children were when it's common knowledge they were, in fact, holy terrors.

There's something about human nature that makes us care more about the individual after the fact. When someone we had right in front of us disappears, we then decide how valuable he or she was and are willing to forgive and forget.

It'll be interesting to see how many viewers I get when I go to the great beyond. They'll probably be clogging up the virtual airways for days. But until then, I think I'll keep yapping about who knows what, knowing full well nobody will care about it for (hopefully) a very long time.

No comments: